Sunday, February 28, 2010

Big Tree Fall Hard


Ahh, another favorite movie line. Wedding Crashers. Well, today I walked in Vince Vaughn's shoes. Tackled out of left field.

As I've mentioned, this second surgery was a piece of cake compared to the first. I'm keeping up on the pain medication, which may be why I'm having a tough time writing a coherent sentence. But, I suppose that because this time I don't have the drain, it doesn't feel as serious? My arm continues to heal, which helps.

It was a beautiful, sunny day and Todd and I went to the lagoon for a walk. Not a "time to walk the Claire" but, a walk together at our old pace. It felt lovely. Normal.

Then, voluntarily, I requested Todd stop at Jimbos so I could get an Emerald Bliss. With a shot of wheat grass. The taste fails to improve. Eternal optimist that I am, I continue to hope each time that I'll take a sip and won't gag. Nope. This bitter brew better be magic! Or, I'll be rather perturbed. I do feel smug and virtuous. Obviously, as I feel compelled to report it in my blog each time I drink one.

When we arrived home, I was feeling fired up and vacuumed. Then, I selected two workout DVDs that I usually find easy. I need to do exercise! I detest feeling the muscles in my legs, arms and core just atrophying away. Skinny-fat. I can literally feel it. As I'm about to start one of the DVDs, I was suddenly hit with a wave of tiredness and nausea. Oh no.

I had no other option except to lie down. Two hours later, I swam back into consciousness. Was this from the pain medication? I guess I did just have surgery less than 48 hours ago and need to take it slowly. But, I felt so great earlier!

Is this foreshadowing? Is this what will happen during treatment? I'll feel great and then all of a sudden crash? With zero control? No option but to lie down or fall over? I couldn't help but start crying when I woke up. I've always considered myself so strong and it certainly doesn't feel that way now.

This battle isn't day by day. It is hour by hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment