Monday, March 1, 2010

Pranayama and the Contrast MRI


Pranayama is one of the most important concepts in yoga. Breath keeps us in the present moment. Breath connects our body to our mind to our spirit. Today, it was the most important concept in my dye-contrast MRI. Who knew?

What is Pranayama? For those who aren't that familiar with the term, here are a few definitions.

According to Patanjali Yoga Sutras, "Regulation of breath or the control of prana is the stoppage of inhalation and exhalation, which follows after securing that steadiness of posture or seat, asana.

Technical Definition ahead: Pranayama is the method of breath control. Proper breathing and awareness of the breath is very important. Swami Yogananda says, "Breath is the cord that ties the soul to the body". Your breathing directly affects the mental states. Breathing exercises help to control bodily functions. A regular, deep breath enables one to feel calm and an irregular breath can make you feel anxious. Yoga Breathing helps to re- charge the cells in the body and re- energizes the brain cells; thus, the body is rejuvenated.

Hopefully, some of that resonates.

How does this apply to the MRI today? It started the same way as the others.

Change into an unattractive gown: check.

Layer another gown on top of it: check.

Notice how much more attractive the Ugg boots look compared to the running shoes and socks worn during the Breast MRI: check.

Helpful technician inserted yet another dye-filled IV into my left arm. Same technician astutely noted that it looked like my left arm "had been getting some action." Ummm, yeah.

Get strapped onto the bed. Choose Alternative Rock for my headphones. Although the MRI sounds drown out most of the music, I did enjoy half a Foo Fighters song, and that makes me happy. Get inserted into the coffin-like machine.

Back to the Pranayama. The test consisted of being instructed to start and stop my breath. Several times, he had me hold my breath for very long periods. A few times I wasn't sure if I was still holding it, sometimes I thought I'd faint before I heard his voice telling me to breathe. I'm used to teaching breathwork, studying it, using it and I could barely hold my breath long enough. Is this how some of my students feel when I continually tell them to inhale and exhale? I'm sorry!

Did I have any epiphanies while I practiced my breath work? Nope. Just a series of random thoughts: How do bigger people fit in here? if I stick my tongue out could I lick the top? how would a smoker hold his/her breath long enough? how many more times will I have to hold my breath? what if I pass out in here? should I have chosen Guns-n-Roses instead of alternative rock? what will I have for breakfast when I'm hatched from the machine? Not exactly profound.

And, the elephant in the room: will this test reveal that the spot on my liver is benign?

9 comments:

  1. Ahhhh breathing. So simple and yet so very difficult in many situations. Bet the Uggs looked cute! As always, hoping for the best possible results right along with you. xoxoxo Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you a big hug, C!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right here with you Claire.. right here with you. I have an MRI done every year to monitor a brain tumor that was found when I was 14. I will never feel alone in the dreadful process ever again, I will see you there with me... And yes, random thoughts prevail... Thank you for the reminder and importance of breath... Love u....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent Tuesday in doctors' offices after an accident at work and kept thinking of you and how impressive you are handling your situation with wit and grace. I then read this post as I headed in to see the second doctor. I took your advice and focused on breathing. Even if there are times ahead where you won't be able to teach your class, please know you're still teaching! Thinking of you often - Ellen Powell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shopping channels have emerged as a popular trend of current times. They are particularly helpful for those who find it tough to take time off from their busy schedule. Find out numerous benefits offered by shopping channels. German government

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earliest malls were Paris Arcades in the 19th century. They became very popular with shoppers instantly. Since then shopping malls have evolved to suit people's tastes. Shopping malls are the most preferred shopping areas in our times among shoppers across the globe. حجز كروز السعودية

    ReplyDelete
  7. eCommerce and Online Shopping has now gone a long way; it has changed the way consumers and entrepreneurs do business today. It hasn't wiped out the idea of shopping in a physical store, but it gave the consumers an alternative means to shop and a bigger market that offers bigger savings. Also, gone are the days when huge risks are at stake when you shop online. 德国亚超

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fertilizante líquido NPK de ácido fúlvico de aminoácidos de extracto de algas orgánicas solubles 100% de alta pureza a precio de fábrica Fabricantes de extractos de algas marinas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad to be a visitant of this gross web blog ! , regards for this rare info ! . Used Clothes

    ReplyDelete