Friday, February 26, 2010

Nobody puts baby in the corner....


Remember that line? There was a back-up prior to my surgery. The pre-op nurse brought me back to the launching pad area and was then informed that I was second in line for surgery. Oops. I was placed in the back corner of the huge area and curtains drawn around me. An IV was inserted into my hand in order to begin giving me fluids. Thank goodness because I was more dehydrated than I was after a visit to Amsterdam in college.

The nurse told me not to feel rejected for being in second place and that they'd get to me after about another 45 minutes. As I lay semi-hallucinating on my gurney, I kept thinking of that great Patrick Swayze line in Dirty Dancing, "Nobody puts baby in the corner." Very strange to be told you are about to go under the knife and then have to be put in a holding pattern.

I love my surgeon. She is amazing: cute, funny, warm, caring. I feel very comfortable with her. When I told her about the liver spot, she told me it is probably nothing. That Dr. K, my oncologist, would have called her to tell her about it if she was really concerned. What a relief. Even with my family and teaching distracting me, the last few days have been shaky. I cannot seem to completely let go of this liver issue. It has to be a birthmark or a false positive. It must.

It was wonderful having my family here for a few days. We enjoyed some good food, wine and the San Diego sunshine. They headed home this morning. Very therapeutic. I am so lucky.

After they departed, I taught my Frogs yoga class. Teaching really is helping me stay sane. When I teach, I am fully present and not thinking about tests, cancer and this surreal nightmare. I had a special blessing: visitors from my past came all the way to San Diego to take my class. Connie grew up right down the street from me in Virginia. We reconnected on Facebook and voila. She ended up in San Diego for the weekend with her cousin and came to Frogs. Thank you Connie! Really cool.

Maybe I've turned a corner. I woke up feeling fine. I feel okay now. Methinks I'm a little buzzed from my vicodin but, that is okay! No drain, no pain, no trauma.

My wonderful man Todd drove me through In-n-Out and I had my first cheeseburger in almost two months. I've had no meat at all. I don't think one fantastic, mouth-watering cheeseburger will kill me. Tomorrow it is back to the pure organic, super green regime. I will get an Emerald Bliss. With Wheat Grass. I promise. Time to get bionic in preparation for the rest of my treatment.

6 comments:

  1. As always, amazed by your candor and humor ... soooo glad you're blogging through this. ENJOY that Emerald Bliss. I'll be sending you extra good vibes with a toast of wheat grass myself. ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire:

    When you beat this...I know someone to make a kick-ass documentary about it! Keep fighting!

    Marko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiring and uplifting. Stay the course :) Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you, Claire. And the picture you have posted above is the radiant image I hold of you in my heart and prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Connie was a dang happy camper to be there. Even though I did chuckle at that open invitation you gave us to do the Birds of Paradise pose. Good grief. Are you trying to kill me? I will say I've seen hundreds of them in your good town lately, and when I do, I think of you and give thanks. You could have a worse legacy...

    Love you!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proud of you - what a journey. Emerald Bliss, huh? And you said you wouldn't do kale...never say never. :)

    ReplyDelete