Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Really?


Yesterday was rough. Oreo, my 14 year old cuddly lovebug cat, was diagnosed with cancer too. He has only months to live. All I can say is Really?? I know they often say that pets mirror their guardians but, this is ridiculous.

I'm devastated. I adopted Oreo 9 years ago from the Rescue House as a companion for my kitty Jake. Oreo is the cat that insists on sleeping curled up next to me, either in the crook of my arm or pressed up against me. I've gotten so much love and comfort from him over the years. I'm so grateful for him. I hate seeing him in pain.

He got a prednisone(steroid) shot today and we'll give him one once a month. It helps alleviate symptoms, and will prolong his quality of life. Kind of like I get steroids with each round of chemotherapy to alleviate the side-effects. I'll be spoiling him rotten from here on out. Well, spoil him more. I've always said I'd love to come back as a Petretti cat.

Since my natural defenses are rather low, this is hitting me hard. Last night, I drowned my sorrow in the best vegetarian chili a la Randi, all of the brownies she made for Todd and I, and a big glass of red wine. Bawling the whole time. Chemo diet be damned. Losing an animal is so hard because there are no negative associations. It is pure love and affection.

Besides being focused on Oreo, I got organized with my medical bills and insurance. All I can say is thank goodness that I have kept my extremely expensive Cobra coverage from my former corporate job. A PPO, it covers a lot once my deductible is met. As I just discovered that all of the treatment will end up costing around $250,000, yes, a quarter of a million dollars, I'm glad I had the option for that level of insurance coverage.

A sampling of charges: One Round of chemotherapy: @ $9,000 plus
Neulasta shot day after chemo: $6,500
TOTAL: $15,000!!!

Most women endure 4 to 8 rounds of chemotherapy. Plus surgery. Plus tests. Plus appointments, etc. We're talking roughly a quarter million dollars when all is said and done. How do people cope without insurance? Or, crappy insurance that only pays a small portion? It is outrageous. Like we need additional stress. I'll bite back my health care tirade.

Finding the silver lining these last few days has been challenging. I did enjoy lunch with Lissa, who was the beneficiary of a big, fat emotional dump. Thanks Lissa: it means the world to have that kind of support. Friends and family are the light. Teaching was great tonight and another light in my life.

Back to the bottle.

5 comments:

  1. Oreo... really?! Its just one thing after another for you guys. And don't bite back your health care tirade. We need you to tell your story so people get why our system is so f-ed up. Glad to hear that teaching is bringing you balance... xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Claire! I am so sorry about Oreo...I continue to keep you in my daily thoughts and prayers...now to include Oreo...I love you lots! .. Michelle Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about Oreo, C. I wonder if cats know. Hard as it is to bear, our kitties only come to us for a comparatively short time, but you've given Oreo a great life filled with love. I hope the steroid shots make him more comfortable.

    Yes, the healthcare costs are outrageous. What's more amazing is that so many people have been brainwashed into thinking that it's a "privilege" not everybody should have. Crazy.

    Sending you a big hug - Love, R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhh Claire. Very sad to hear the news about Oreo. Sure hope the shots help him and that the two (four!) of you get lots of good time together. I know you and Oreo will bring a special kind of bonding and comfort to your mutual snuggling. Sending you so very much love and support. xoxoxo Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about Oreo, Claire. I depend heavily on my pets for love and comfort and understand how this will devastate you. There are no words. My prayers are with you and Oreo.

    ReplyDelete