Monday, April 5, 2010

Fading Reflections


Somehow, I don't think I'll get used to that first look in the mirror in the morning. I feel like I'm disappearing slowly. Inevitably. Like a painting fading in the sun, each time I encounter the reflection, it is fainter. My face, as I know it, seems to be eroding. The brows, the lashes, the color. Will I completely disappear?

Exiting the house is a process. I feel like an alien who puts on the mask, the fake hair and hat, the cloaks of looking "normal" prior to braving the rest of the world. As I sit here writing, I'm wearing my awesome cat hat and PJs. Catching glances of my bald head in the mirror over the last few days has been disturbing. I don't see me.

Compared to this time Round 1, I'm doing significantly better. When the bone pain hit me last round, I was completely incapacitated. This time, I've been on claritin and some meds in anticipation of bone pain and headaches and it seems to be helping enormously. I'm glad that I took off today and tomorrow to give myself the room and space to heal. My brain is floating. One minute, I feel completely present and almost normal and the next I am loopy. In fact, I would say loopy is an accurate current gauge.

This afternoon, Megan walked me and I ambitiously assumed a big jaunt. Fifteen minutes later, we re-entered the condo. Time is relative I suppose. Between Todd and Megan, I've been spoiled rotten over the last week. I wonder if Meg's husband Will will let us keep her? It isn't fair that he gets to have her all to himself. Lucky!

I completed my certification to teach Yoga for Cancer Survivors yesterday. In retrospect, I realize that it may have not been the most auspicious timing but, I did it! I hope to be able to parlay all that I learned from the instructor and other participants to create a nurturing, healing class to help others. And, selfishly, it was healing for me to be in an environment like that as I battle this cancer.

Waves of chemo brain are rolling in and I'm feeling foggy. I'll sign off for tonight but, I am happy that this round seems to be milder and less painful. Knock on wood.

4 comments:

  1. ... you are so amazing.... keep doing ALL of the incredible 'work' you are doing to stay 'connected' to YOU... sending you so much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear you're weathering this round better than the first. It's wonderful you're taking such good care of yourself and I so admire your honesty about all that you are going through. You are truly courageous. I hope to see you at the end of your class on Thursday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're amazing claire and a true inspiration! love you, zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go get em Tiger! Claire: 35 Cancer: 0

    ReplyDelete