Thursday, April 29, 2010

Shifts


Another beautiful day in San Diego. I'm so happy that I was able to get outside and enjoy some of the sunshine.

Today I walked for thirty whole minutes! Thirty minutes may not seem like a lot but, yesterday my legs were wobbly after sixteen. And, this was no power walk. An old lady with a walker, an ancient three-legged dog, and just about everyone else on Paseo del Norte passed me but, hey, I was disguised in my wig, hat and dark glasses.

Lots of shifts occurring this week. Shifts that I didn't envision just a month ago. I realized, through the major fatigue that has walloped me this past week, that I need to conserve my energy to heal. Perhaps this has been obvious to everyone else but, I felt good enough to teach all my classes before. Now, I'm tired. I need more time to rest, reenergize, and recuperate. Yes, I put that in writing: Claire needs to rest more. What the heck will I be writing a month from now?

So, I made a very tough decision to put my on-site yoga classes at Active.com on hold until I'm finished with chemotherapy. I've had to cancel so often, making it too erratic. We will re-launch the yoga program in July. I've also put another class at Sculpt Fusion on hold until the end of treatment because the heat is just overwhelming. I will return!

This week has been marked by discussions with a few clients and new acquaintances who were seeking advice because their doctors' had severely restricted their exercise regimes. I, too, had these issues after cervical disc replacement eighteen months ago and the two breast cancer surgeries in February. I'm still limited from the recent surgeries and chemotherapy. A 16 minute walk and some yoga was all I had yesterday but, it made me feel better. I keep reminding myself that I had fully recuperated from my neck surgery when this cancer thing hit me.

Discussing these type of limitations is sparking an idea for writing an article to help others maintain activity and sanity while they recover from injuries or illness. I'd love to use my teaching and personal experience. I'm going to retreat to my I Dream of Jeannie Bottle-Incubator and let that percolate.

p.s. this is the "Posh" wig that I'm considering for summer....

4 comments:

  1. incubate. percolate. mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the posh option. Rest. Recovery. Growth. Change. Incubation. Recuperation. Lots of AMAZING shifting and movement going on. Sending you peace and love. ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the Posh wig looks adorable on you! see you in the morning. Love on the kitties for me. Les

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Post wig is very attractive, C - I'm not used to seeing you with short hair, but it suits you quite well.

    You sound like a natural-born teacher - no doubt part of this experience is teaching you awareness that will be indispensable to others as you teach them.

    ReplyDelete