Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Round Three Eve


I don't know why I feel the need to christen everything "Eve" as that generally denotes positive anticipation but, I can't help myself. Chemo Eve. Instead of Santa dropping down the chimney, TAC flowing through the IV. At least this round is the halfway point. Or, maybe the second to the last if you are with me on my Theory of Four. Closer to ending than beginning.

My BFF Megan has returned for a second tour of duty in the chemo lounge. She is a brave soul. She brought me a present. It is a travel pack from L'Occitane for my fall trip to Australia. So, I'll forgive her for giving me shampoo and conditioner today. Ahhh, the irony.

Since my rough ride last week, I committed to rediscover my daily yoga, a.k.a. my sanity, again. Practice has been a challenge because the heat in the studios where I normally practice feels very depleting to my chemo-ridden body. Not a current option. Most of the Frogs classes I enjoy are very intense and also not an option for the next few months. So, I'm now Yogini Explorer. And, am having an amazing week of opening.

I've sampled three new studios and enjoyed them all for different reasons. My mind-body-heart connection, which has been rudely disrupted since January, feels like it is merging back together. I feel lighter and softer. My right side, where I had the two surgeries, continues to open up and heal. Yoga is truly magic.

And, I've had a true "Celestine Prophecy" type of encounter this week. Remember that book? It was based upon the principle that there are no coincidences. In my yogic quest, I met Meredith Hooke, who owns a new studio, Asana Yoga Del Mar.

When our initial discussion began, we discovered that we both had grown up in Virginia. Cool.

Then: we are both from Fairfax. Small World.

Then: we both attended Pine Ridge Elementary School, Luther Jackson Middle School and Oakton High School. Really?!

Then: it got weird. During elementary school, she lived in Strathmeade. Strathmeade is a small neighborhood adjacent to my old one. A mile away. We'd both walk over to Fairfax Hospital to eat the french fries in the cafeteria. OHMYGOD!

Then: La Piece de Resistance: she moved out here because of her best friend. I knew said best friend from Pine Ridge Elementary School. I remember her because she was mean to me, probably because I had big buck teeth and braces when I was 9. But, I also ran into said best friend in San Diego 14 years ago because I replaced her as an associate attorney at the last law firm where I worked. Are you kidding me?

Umm, I think there is a connection. There are no coincidences, right?

This week: exponentially better than last week.

4 comments:

  1. I forget this isn't Facebook, so there is no "Like" button. Well, "I like this."
    CLICK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do I, and I do wish you well! (from Meredith's mother)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, quite a non-coincidence there! I'm still selfishly so excited that you guys are coming to Australia!! Good luck with the chemo this week (fingers crossed it's the next to last time)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling you on the healing properties of yoga!! Just took my first non-prenatal class in 5 months but my first real class in almost a year (thanks, elbow). Come down and take a Ginseng class with me! Or, tell me where you'll be this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete