Thursday, April 1, 2010

Great news: done with treatment!


April Fools Day! HA. Four rounds to go after today.

Done with Round 2 of chemotherapy. As prior to my first treatment, I went to Lois for acupuncture to help calm down my steroid-amped brain. Steroids make me very talkative and intense. Imagine me in a good mood, magnified exponentially. Lois observed that the yoga class I taught this morning was incredibly challenging. Blame it on the drugs! Magician Lois relaxed me. I'm so lucky to have her help.

Megan came with me, which was really great. I love having her here.

I met with a different oncologist today, as mine is out of town. When we were discussing my bone pain, he called it "bony pain," which I found amusing. He tried to tell me that I should just use tylenol or advil for it. When I tried to elaborate how it had felt like being stretched out on the rack operated by a hooded demon during the Inquisition, complete with bones cracking and breaking, he stuck with his Advil guns. Umm, Not a job for advil.

I had a different chemo nurse today, AJ. She was great. She gave me my benadryl and ativan along with more steroids, the T, the A and The C. Thus, I didn't have any reactions to the Taxotere this time. Yay. The only issue was that she placed the IV needle in a different spot, closer to my wrist. It was incredibly painful and remained so for most of the treatment.

Two girls who are going through treatment concurrently with me, Nancy and Lindsay, had their 2nd round last week and told me that the side-effects were less intense this time. I'm optimistic that will be the case for me. Although, the chemo nurse told me that people like us who are young and healthy often have a harder time because we aren't used to being sick and rundown.

I'm predicting minimal bone pain and stomach upset this round.

I'm getting used to the bald head. It is actually very well shaped, almost good enough to go on a coin! I'm not ready to show it around in public and maybe never will. I'm alternating between the hat hair (shown in photo above), the hat to teach yoga, and I wore the wig yesterday. The wig still feels weird, although everyone swears it looks natural. Day by day with this process. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

I'm really tired. She put some ativan in the IV and I am a sleepy girl.

Round 2 down. 4 to go!

3 comments:

  1. :-) it sounds like it went really well today...your doing great CP. So--i must ask...was the substitute Dr .. you know, the cute one?
    I hope you have a peaceful night and sleep great. It's true that both your shorn noggin' and your weave are exceptional-either way you look very pretty.
    hi to Megan xoxox
    ativan by IV=nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi C,

    It seems like this second treatment has gone more smoothly than the first - good! Indeed, your head could go on a coin - so you didn't get Rene's olive head?

    Love, Rob

    ReplyDelete