Sunday, April 11, 2010

Genie in a bottle





These three photos show off the three hats that Shelley and Taylor made for me. I love them.

As I suspected, today was significantly better than yesterday. I'm just going to have to ride these waves. My lovely friend Kirsten left me a message that she visualized my cave as a beautiful place, with a Moroccan flair and satin pillows.

I'll take the cave visual a step farther: the I Dream of Jeannie bottle. As a child, I was obsessed with I Dream of Jeannie. Not only did I dress up as Jeannie for Halloween on more than one occasion, I also had a friend who had two genie costumes and we'd play dress up. More than having Jeannie's ability to blink and make wishes come true, more than rocking the pink outfit, I dreamed of running away into her magical, beautiful bottle. Voila. So, code word for going to the cave=I Dream of Jeannie.

Todd's been generously offering to get me a new pair of running/walking/hiking shoes for a long time. I have a big dorky white pair that I got on sale at Marshalls about two years ago. Not exactly top of the line in either function or fashion. Maybe Todd's embarrassed to hike with me and my giant white clodhoppers. Or, he's just nice.

In preparation to leave the house for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, I sported the wig. There is just something about the full wig, as opposed to the hat hair, that feels really weird and unnatural. Off to Road Runner Sports we went. Along with half of San Diego County. If the sun fails to shine, San Diegans shop.

I found a very cool pair of Wave Rider Mizunos. Now I can cruise with the cool kids.

Next, we hit Home Depot. Now, I did promise Todd's mom that I wouldn't allow him to make me go to Home Depot. Ever. But, it was my idea. We'd decided to spruce up our porch. We've got a great view, really cute patio chairs but, we'd killed off all the plants last summer.

We transformed the porch with a big Ginger Shell plant for the corner, two purple flowering hanging plants, a tiny budding violet for a Santorini blue and white vase and finally, some bright yellow flowers. Notice I don't list the names. Despite being clueless on botany, I do have eyes and everything is gorgeous. Now, the porch is alive with life and color.

I did have to rip off the wig after this three and one-half hour endeavor. My scalp is still tender and itchy on top. I definitely prefer the hats and hat hair.

After an inaugural walk in the new shoes, we did some yoga together in the living room. Todd made us a tasty dinner of Yellowfin tuna and asparagus. I'm feeling full and happy. Good company, exercise and shopping made it a much better day.

Each time I teach yoga, I remind my students to stay in the present moment, to live in the now, to allow each experience to unfold naturally. I think I need to tell myself that each and every day when I wake up. I accept the days like yesterday and Friday and welcome the days like today.

Or, maybe I can blink my eyes and make a wish, just like Jeannie.

3 comments:

  1. Come visit us at www.wedreamofjeannie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... the porch sounds nice. Glad you guys did that....

    I run in Mizuno.... you'll love those shoes. I ran in the St Louis Half Marathon yesterday and it was an amazing day weather wise AND energy wise. And you'll be happy to know there is a growing Lulu presence here. I saw quite a few people sporting Lulu gear or Lulu tatoo's during the race. Pretty cool. My kids wanted to go to the new Lulu store after the race.... so we did.... Alli got a cute pair of Lulu shorts and Grant got a sharp looking Lulu shirt.

    Keep letting your life force shine in these blogs... you won't know this side of heaven how many people your beautiful words are touching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Todd is just nice...then again, he is "all terrain Todd" so it really isn't appropriate for you to be in dorky work out shoes. :) Can't wait to have coffee on your deck next week with all the flowers. Much love. Megan (Didn't every little girl our age want to be Jeannie? I loved playing her...I did not, like you, rock the outfit; but, who cares!)

    ReplyDelete