Sunday, April 25, 2010

Up close with the red stuff




Apologies for the graphic view of the "A" drug. But, this is how I experienced it and you know that I love to share. This is the controversial drug where you are given a popsicle so it doesn't dry out your mouth too much. Also, the nurse must stay and administer the drug manually because if it spills it can burn you. Badly. I try not to dwell too closely on that information.

It is now Monday. I started writing this blog entry yesterday? Or, was it the day before? I feel like I've actually lost time. After the first two rounds, I did not sleep like this. I was up and about and one of the weekends even did the Yoga for Cancer Therapy training. Quite a change of pace.

I'm finally deflating. Yesterday morning I bore a striking resemblance to Violet from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I was more of a pale pink than blue but, my head and neck were swollen up like a big fat berry. Hideous. In fact, my eyes were so swollen that it was uncomfortable to keep them open. As a result, I spent most of the day resting.

Despite my state, I was too stubborn not to drive to La Jolla to meet Todd after his race. Probably not my brightest move as I couldn't see very well. Imagine the large round pink head, carefully camouflaged by sunglasses, hat and hat hair. The pressure from said accoutrements created terrible pressure and it is amazing my head didn't burst. Although I couldn't find parking and didn't get to see him cross the finish line, he finished in the top 7% again! Awesome!

Todd had a lot driving him up and down those steep hills of La Jolla. In addition to his usual motivations, his maternal grandfather passed away on Saturday. His family is gathering in Warren, Pa this week for the service. Todd leaves tomorrow. I wish that I was able to attend.

After a tough weekend, we were grateful to have a wonderful salmon and couscous dinner delivered, courtesy of yet another amazing Frogs yogini. I'm so grateful for the kindness and generosity of those around me. I cannot imagine this journey without it.

2 comments:

  1. Claire, I am so sorry to hear about Todd's grandfather. Really? Anything else out there for you this month?? Please give him a big hug for me! Hopefully your swelling will come down this week -- but we both know you tend to be hyper critical! I must say, the photo of the A drug shows off your arm muscle quite well. Even a lousy photographer like me couldn't mess that up. Miss you, hugs, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edward would NOT be able to control himself if he saw this pic of you;);) white light and lotsa luv 2 u chica xoxo

    ReplyDelete