Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Update from yesterday and today is "meet the surgeon" day


Last night, I was so exhausted that not only could I not finish a lovely 1 hour yoga class, but I also couldn't write when I got home. How am I so busy all of a sudden? The whirlwind of appointments is breathtaking. I thought my pace was rather frenetic before but, wow!

p.s. Photo is Jake, my silly cat. He makes me smile with his undignified positions!

I met with the wonderful Christa Orecchio of www.thewholejourney.com nutrition. She is a friend and kindly offered to help tweak my diet so that my body is a cancer fighting machine. No sugar. A lot of greens. Alkaline foods. Flax oil. Organic everything. My brain is very full!! I have a terrible sweet tooth and a bad habit of treating myself a lot with cookies. Chocolate chip, the rasberry heart cookie, Pims dark chocolate with orange, oatmeal....come to think of it, there isn’t a cookie I don’t like. No cookies for me for 3 months. Apparently, sugar is quite the breeding ground for disease. Hell, maybe I'll have one. This will truly be day by day.

I zoomed over to Seaside market to get some of the items on the shopping list she gave me. I've never selected a yam before. Interesting looking creature. We'll see what it looks like when Chef Todd is done with it. As long as it tastes good, I will eat it.

Super greens juice does not taste good. In fact, it is disgusting. I tried to chug half of it and almost lost it in the kitchen sink. I am sorry people but, broccoli, cucumber and whatever other green item was in there does not a tasty drink make. Yuck. I'd much rather eat my veggies. So many of them.....green, green, green.

Yes, I dreamed about vegetables last night. I have eaten more leafy greens in the last week than I have in the last month. I cannot help but feel rather virtuous.

The other appointment yesterday was for the BSGI test, which wasn't bad. Relatively. It is supposed to be an amazingly specific diagnostic test to see if there are any other alien invaders in either breast. Basically, you sit in a chair with one boob on a shelf, while it is photographed from 3 angles, for 7 minutes each. Oh yeah, I get injected with some dye again beforehand. You can see the lump, it looks like a black marble.

The poor technician! She was wonderful, like everyone at Scripps has been, but, I guess I talk through these tests in order to not think about them. That woman knows about my childhood time living in Africa, my teaching stint for Princeton Review LSAT course, that my sister broke her leg and why she is living in Israel, where Corsica is and why it is a French colony instead of Italian despite Petretti sounding Italian, that my boyfriend is amazing and very different than my past relationships. Oh yeah, and she also got to arrange my boobs on a shelf several times. Maybe she should have bought me dinner.

No wonder I was tired. My beauty treat after my appointment, SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO THINK MY HAIR GROWS OUT OF MY HEAD THIS WAY, was getting my highlights touched up. Nothing like a little sunshine on the hair to brighten an outlook.

Today is the day we meet with the surgeon and find out, I hope, when this marble is being removed. I am ready for it to exit stage right. Again, I am super-committed to eating like a champion and creating an invincible immune system but, I want this lump out. Period. No questions asked. Does not belong.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, C. When you have completed this amazing (yet scary and stressful at times) journey, you're going to have an important book to write.

    Love, R

    PS: Can't Jake find a more dignified way to sit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. claire - you are SO funny. i smiled-cried through your post. you are an amazing writer - AND an amazing woman...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn girl you are funny! Very impressive under the circumstances. Thank you for sharing - and for somehow making it an entertaining read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire - I am following your progress through your awesome, funny and moving posts. You are a brave and beautiful woman, thanks for sharing yourself and your experience with those who love and care about you. Keep strong girl!

    ReplyDelete