Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 14: Beautiful....


Today was exactly what I needed. I went to a workshop with Erich Schiffman, an amazing yogi. He was funny, inspiring and made meditation seem simple and natural. The first yoga DVD I ever purchased was his. He is magical. I was lucky enough to experience the day with my friends Summer and Renee and I feel relaxed and positive.

Over the last few weeks, I couldn't help but feel like I've got serious bad karma. Those who know me are aware that my family has endured great tragedy. I mean, what are the odds that two siblings pass away from AIDS, one dies from other causes and two sisters have breast cancer? My sister beat it with grace and beauty and so will I. But, really? We are like the poor Kennedys: if you have to deal with this much crap in one family, you should at least have your own yacht.

My theory is that in a past life we were the Genghis Khans and now it is payback time. All that pillaging, raping, and beheading really takes its toll. The lessons in grief and mourning have been intense, to put it mildly. But, we are a hardy lot. Probably the Corsican blood on my dad's side of the family. Coupled with the Scottish McNeill clan on my mom's side, this lifetime presents some hefty challenges.

A very wise woman, who is an artist and astrologer, shared a beautiful perspective with me. I do believe the loss I've experienced with my family has made me stronger and more empathetic and better equipped to help others. And, since today is my one year anniversary of exiting corporate America to teach yoga and Pilates full-time, I sure hope that I am!! I do feel that I am on my true path to heal and help.

Victoria's verbatim advice: "You just have some big Life Long Lessons, like the rest of us, and you are working to balance them out. And you will. Sometime the "healer" type people, like you, have to become the "wounded healer" for a time, until some kind of energy transmutation takes place. If this is part of some kind of shamanic journey, then so be it, let's just get it over with fast so you can heal and get on with the business of living a beautiful life and helping others. I know that is your destiny.

I like it. Although, I did think that the 2007 car accident resulting in artificial disc replacement in my neck was plenty of wounding, I guess I needed a little more?

By the way, I am posting photos each time where I feel that my endangered body part in question looks marvelous. Sorry if it is cheesy. I don't care. Gratuitous boob shots.

2 comments:

  1. You, and Victoria's advice, are BEAUTIFUL! I still haven't figured out why some people have to deal with SO much in their lifetimes, while others seem to skate through untarnished!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratuitous boob shots, I love it! For those like me who have none (except temporarily while I'm nursing) we can live vicariously through them.
    **FYI have you clicked to make the picture larger and notice the drooling onlookers below?
    so funny!

    ReplyDelete