Sunday, January 24, 2010

The WheatGrass Conspiracy


Rereading yesterday's entry helps me appreciate how much better I feel today. Yoga helped. I had a few moments during my practice where I almost cried and that felt right. The magic of yoga releasing the stored toxins, the stored emotions and the trauma that needed to exit my system.

I admit that I had another tearful moment in Dandasana, staring down at my cleavage. It looked so pretty. I'm realizing that I'm very attached to the girls. It is part of my identity, my femininity, my body image; one of the few physical traits I share with my sister and mom. Is that shallow? I think it is deeper than that. (despite this photo from Cabo :))

When I had my artificial disc replacement surgery about 15 months ago, I was struck by how threatened I was knowing that the surgeon would be slicing into the front of my throat. Can you say invasive? It feels the exact same way knowing that they'll be wielding the scalpel on my right breast. For some reason, if it were my leg or something on my backside, it wouldn't be so identity-shaking.

I had a beautiful morning. The sun is shining again in San Diego and all feels right with the world. The storming and hailing last week contributed to my challenges. I'm such a weather wimp, which is probably why I transplanted from Virginia after college. Part of my relocation deal was sunny, in the 60s and 70s. All the time. Period. If there is rain, I should be able to stay inside, under a blanket on the couch.

My dear friend Nikke (in last post's photo of me pouting) met me at Swamis and we went for a long walk on the beach. An epic swell is in town due to all the storms so, the surf was powerful and waves crashed to shore. In addition to the seagulls and those little birds with long skinny legs (anyone know their ornithology?), a majestic pelican sat at the edge of the surf. He looked like a beautiful, wise old guru. I've never seen one sit there on the beach like a king amongst his subjects. Magical. I believe that animals have meaning and I looked up the Pelican: forgiveness. Interesting.

After the healing walk by the ocean, we hit Swamis for a yummy, healthy brunch. Christa, my awesome nutritionist, told me to take shots of wheat grass at any opportunity. Generally, I've interpreted that to mean if I don't see a billboard posted saying DRINK WHEATGRASS NOW! I can avoid it.

Well, much to my chagrin, Swamis had a giant wheat grass sign. Right there on the counter where you order. In plain sight. I couldn't avert my gaze fast enough. Darn it! Nikke took one for the team and we both got a shot. I'm sorry people but, it is gross, gross, gross. Chills shot from the top of my scalp, down my spine, to the tips of my toes. I cringe just remembering it. I mean, they have a patch of grass sitting on the counter and they cut it in front of you. I felt like a spoiled rabbit. Ordering my lunch at the counter.

Alright, enough rambling. New Orleans vs. Minnesota is on!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - you write so beautifully, Claire. I'm glad you're keeping this blog, because you can use it for putting together your book about this experience.

    Love, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog! I, too, hate wheatgrass, but because it is so weirdly sweet and I taste it all day long.

    The birds were most likely plovers. xo, j

    ReplyDelete