Thursday, August 5, 2010

Riding the waves


Fluctuations seem to be dominating these days. One minute, I feel calm, peaceful and centered and the next moment melancholy descends. I guess the good news is that these shifts are fleeting and I am confident that they will pass.

On a positive note, the first Yoga for Cancer Recovery class at lululemon went great this morning. I was lucky enough to have a fellow teacher, Irina, assist me. Seven students came and I am hopeful that they enjoyed the class as much as I enjoyed teaching it. Patti, my wonderful wig lady, came and loved it! I'm so thrilled that I could give back a little bit to her. I can't wait for next week, same bat time, same bat channel. I also learned that there is another class offered at the Cancer Center in Encinitas on Tuesday mornings so, I'm going to partake in that one next week.

On a less positive note, once a week, I get weighed and meet with the doctor to check in on how I am feeling. I don't understand why they weigh me? Are they afraid they might fry too many pounds off of me? As I drove through McDonalds, yes McDonalds, this afternoon, I don't think there is any danger of me wasting away. I've been doing a lot of emotional eating this week: goes with the fluctuations I suppose! The good news is that I could taste the salt on the McDonalds french fries. Hallelujah!! The taste buds are back!

I digress. I had an interesting conversation with my Radiation Oncologist this afternoon. When he asked me how my energy levels were, I replied that they were great, probably because of all the supplements I'm taking. Well, he and the nurse jumped on the supplement soapbox. They informed me that I could take a multivitamin but, not take any antioxidants. Apparently, radiation is oxidizing and the antioxidants could prevent it from working. Really. Seriously, I cannot fathom how the death rays could be thwarted by some antioxidants.

Wouldn't that be like me trying to fight off an armored tank with a slingshot? I don't buy it and I am going to continue to take them.

Actually, my energy level is most likely attributable to the acupuncture that I've been receiving. And, it is only the second week of radiation. I understand that it is cumulative and I've got five and one/half weeks to go.

What may kill me is the parking lot at Scripps. It is a perilous lot, with at least half the drivers too blind to see, too drugged up to drive or too upset to navigate. I swear, if Seinfeld were still on the air, the Scripps parking lot would serve as fodder for at least a week of episodes. I need a chauffeur! But, I better make sure I'm dropped off right at the curb or one of the aforementioned vehicles will run me down.

Tomorrow is Friday!

5 comments:

  1. The PT cruiser drivers are especially notorious in that Scripps lot, beware of a purple PT cruiser!! Rear ended me while I was stopped at the parking booth. Yes, he "didn't see" me. Thank you for the whiplash Mr. Shouldn't Be Driving Anymore!! Glad you are using caution. Love you... Randi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your slingshot analogy!! I'd be more than happy to chauffeur you to and from Scripps...seriously. I'll see you at yoga w/ my proposal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to about hear the first Yoga for Cancer Recovery class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antioxidants oxidize free radicals to protect cells from damage. Radiation treatments are intended to damage/kill localized cells/cancer cells. Don't doubt the power of the antioxidant :) Focus on rebuilding & protecting after treatments have done their work. Love ya!! C-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just found your blog, thank you. I am starting radiation in September and had the same questions about antioxidants. So far all the people I've asked except one have said don't take them for the reason that C- mentioned. Research on medical papers online is inconclusive. I've decided not to take them so far, but am seeing an integrative radiation oncologist for a 3rd opinion tomorrow and will update if I hear differently.

    Also, given you're taking antioxidants and supplements, I wonder why you eat McDonalds. I would be the last one to deny you a good meal when you are so sick, but I do recommend staying away from that place. The meat is filled with hormones (NOT good for breast cancer) and the potatoes they use for fries are sprayed very heavily with pesticides, some of which are known neurotoxins.

    Keep strong. We are out here going through it too. -ER

    ReplyDelete