Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hot Flashes!



I'm having a hot flash. Not exactly how I envisioned my Saturday night. It starts with the back of my neck heating up. Literally. The heat then spreads down my back and creates a lovely film of sweat designed to make whatever I'm wearing stick to my back. You know, like when you are in Washington DC on any given summer day and leave your air-conditioned house and step into the 90% humidity and are instantly sticky? Well, I get to enjoy that feeling now in the comfort of my own San Diego home.

This is yet another one of those side-effects that is downplayed. Like losing your hair. "You'll have some hot flashes and may go into menopause about 10 years early." This is relayed to you in a casual laundry list of potential side-effects.

I'm cooling off. Thank goodness.

So, this photo shows my daily attire for radiation treatment. Please note my lovely sleeve and glove. For radiation, each day I walk back to the dressing room, lock the door and change into two robes. About one third of the time I end up pulling off my wig of the day in the process.

Speaking of wigs, you may notice that I am sporting a new look. The brilliant and incomparable Patti Joyce has created another masterpiece. I told her that I was about to throw Sheila at someone because with the heat she gets very uncomfortable and sticks to the back of my neck. I asked for one just like Sheila but, shorter and off of my neck. And, voila: here it is! I haven't named her yet. But, she is cooler and pretty cute and should get me through until my hair is long enough to go wigless. (the photo is kind of dark--it is the same pralines-n-cream color as Sheila)

The lovely Lori was kind enough to offer to take me to radiation because she was worried I might lose my last marble in the dreaded Scripps parking lot. Of course, there were plenty of open spots when she drove me. Not a crazy lunatic to be seen. No 90 year-olds honking and reversing across the lot at 60 mph. No back-up out onto Torrey Pines Road. It figures.

14 Radiations down.

22 to go.

Less than 5 weeks to Australia.

Hang on Petretti. Don't lose your mind when you are so close to the finish line....

6 comments:

  1. You should name her "Sasha"..."Sheila" & "Sasha"!! I like it! Friday was nice! You make for excellent company! We'll be doing it again! Parking lot geezers beware!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been witness to those crazy geezers in that Scripps parking lot. I know of what you speak Petretti and they are SCARY. Plus, the ones that just walk through the parking lot with no care for cars coming up the aisles. Its as if they have a death wish. LOL.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Australia is your light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there lovely one! Love, Christa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelix, for Shelia and Felix....you remind me of a cat:) Yes, they do say all these side effects like they are giving you ingredients to a recipe. And hot flashes are really killer...a frozen, cotton scarf...handy..melting cowgirl look...but, hey, it feels fabulous.Put me on the list to take you. Love, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  5. I REALLY like the new "do"! You look sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOU GO, CLAIRE! Hang in there, mama.

    ReplyDelete