Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feeling grateful


I've been feeling very grateful for all of the blessings in my life these days. One of the primary "silver linings" in this cancer ride comes in the form of the numerous amazing people that I've met or reconnected with since January. My friends have been incredible: supportive, kind, caring and consistent. I am so lucky to be buoyed up by all the positive energy directed my way.

And, I see the light at the end of the tunnel! As I cross off each day of radiation with my red pen, I feel lighter. 21 down, 15 to go. My skin is not happy with me at all. I've got some Aquaphor on right now and it is itchy and incredibly annoying. Nonetheless, red rash on one area of the body is still better than chemo side-effects.

Speaking of chemo side-effects: hair is sprouting at an incredible rate! Everywhere. Who would have believed that I would need a bikini wax before I needed an eyebrow wax? Believe it.

Todd rubs my fuzzy head, singing "Chia, Chia, Chia." And, I don't mind, even though it is silver and brown. My eyebrows are a rather strange charcoal color: again, better than no brows! And, my eyelashes are longer each time I look at them. Oddly, the upper lashes seem to be growing downward and the lower lashes are growing upwards. With any luck, in a few weeks, they will look lush again.

One of the highlights of the past few days was the Taste of Hope benefit for City of Hope and to honor the ambassador of Hope: my good friend Zoe Mohler. It was held in Coronado and was full of all kinds of gourmet food and wine. Shrimp, sliders, cupcakes and the best ice cream bonbons ever! And, Kiptyn from the Bachelorette was the Emcee, handing out roses. All for a good cause!

I'm grateful that because of lululemon's generosity, I can offer two additional weeks of Yoga for Cancer Recovery at the lululemon Carlsbad. And, my ambassador photo is up on the wall! I'm official.

On that note, time to wash the Ovation cell therapy off my chia-pet head.

2 comments:

  1. Claire:

    You are awesome :) I do not remember my mom yelling at you about the oreo's....just went on a girls weekend and they requested we bring pics from our past and I grabbed this box my mom had handed me that she found in stuff from her gargage. It was filled with pics from high school you were in them, I am not sure what we were "dressed up" for but very funny! Could post of facebook if you dare....have you been following the Missy Holt (MIchaele) housewife series she is a wacko. Thinking of you! LIsa Chmael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, When this whole horrible "c" ordeal is over you should write a book! You have a serious gift for words girl! I always look for your posts when I am on FB and I gotta tell you - you really are an inspiration! If you did pen a book it would not only be appealing to other cancer patients (who would truly be able to appreciate the ups and downs you so amazinlgy write about), but to anyone who going through a life challenge. Your message overall is so positive, so real and so heart felt.....You should consider writing one! Sending good thoughts your way! Stacie (Hayden)

    ReplyDelete