Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Holding steady


Paring down my schedule and adding in more daily exercise seems to be doing the trick. I'm feeling more balanced and a little less out of control. I'm so thrilled that I've been able to walk about an hour a day. I've missed it so much. Now that my legs don't feel like I hiked Everest, I feel more free.

Even more exciting is that my arm continues to hold steady at just-about-normal-size. Who knew how thrilling it would be to see my pointy elbow again? I'm continuing to add more activity for my upper body. In fact, at this rate I'll be a veritable Wonder Woman: I've built up to two sets of various exercises with 3-lb weights. Pretty funny. But, it is a start. I'm so grateful that I'm able to do something without the fear of my forearm and hand blowing up like a balloon. Slowly.

McCabe, my artist friend, came over to see if she could spice up my orthopedic beige sleeve. I was considering making it look like I have a full-sleeve tattoo on that arm! It could be fun for yoga! I plan on weaning off of the sleeve as soon as I can but, will wear it to workout for the foreseeable future: better safe than sorry. I would probably explode if I had to endure another 7 1/2 week blow-up again. Also, I know that I pooh-poohed lymphedivas.com in the past but, they have tons of cool styles: diamond trim. I stand corrected.

McCabe is also a scarf expert, yet another area where I am not gifted, and brought me a gorgeous scarf to wear with the hat hair. She tied it too. I'm hoping that I can just slip it on already tied because otherwise I might be in trouble. We are digging deep to find my inner bohemian chic. Very deep. I'm half-french for goodness sakes! You'd think I'd be gifted with scarves. Or chic.

So, week three of radiation is in full swing and it is starting to show. My skin is pink with small red polka-dots. Lovely. I'm slathering on calendula lotion at least four times a day to help counteract the radiation but, methinks the large beam will win. So, although I've got three fabulous new bikinis, I now need to cover up the top and make sure I don't get sun.

I can't believe that it is almost the middle of August. I wonder how I will feel next August when I reflect back upon 2010? At the moment, I don't have a clue. I've survived a lot of loss and ups and downs in my life but, making it through to the other side of this journey will definitely leave me a changed woman. Mind, body, spirit. I am truly grateful for everyone in my life: I'm blessed to have so much support and love surrounding me through this rollercoaster ride.

3 comments: