Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Change of Scenery



I know there are those who say that you can't run away from your problems but, I tend to disagree. Changing location can play a huge part in altering your mood, at least for a little while. Escape. Relief. Lightness and change.

Warner Springs ActiveX Endurance Camp did it for me, at least until my arm swelled up. But, that is a later rant. About 100 active.com employees spent the weekend biking, swimming, running in preparation for the Solana Beach Triathalon. We were there so I could teach the yoga class at the end of the festivities.

We arrived to glorious sunshine yesterday. Hot, sunny blue skies. It felt fantastic. San Diego has been gray, cold and drizzly for over two weeks straight and it weighs on the psyche. We lounged at the pool, soaked up some sun and relaxed. For the first time since the lymphedema developed, I was completely happy. An enjoyable BBQ with a wonderful group of people completed a great day.

Alas, the escape was merely fleeting. I spent yesterday afternoon getting fitted for a sleeve to wear all day, every day, until the lymphedema improves. My PT didn't prescribe a gauntlet/glove for me, just the sleeve. My hand has held a great deal of swelling and from what I've read, you are supposed to have a gauntlet (fingerless) glove to control the hand swelling. What do I know as the patient, right?

I'd gotten over the mental and emotional hurdle and had resolved to wear the damn hideous, uncomfortable, orthopedic stocking-looking thing all day and bandage all night. I want my arm back.

So, yesterday morning, I went to my shift at the cat house at Petco and wore the sleeve. By the end of the two hour shift, my hand was swollen and red. Not good. I lost it. What am I supposed to do? I'm trying to comply with all of this restrictive treatment and it ISN'T WORKING. I am so frustrated that I cannot stop bursting into tears. Why did my hand swell up??? I couldn't reach anyone to answer my questions.

Then, I bandaged last night after the Warner Springs dinner and expected to wake up to a smaller arm. Nope. No visual difference. It made my morning challenging, trying to ignore it as I taught, worried it would swell more from the efforts.

Escape over.

1 comment:

  1. Well, as a student this morning I had no idea that you were facing any challenges.

    It was a GREAT session! Perfect way to end Camp... and you made sure I smiled. :-)

    Sending loving thoughts your way!

    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete