Sunday, July 25, 2010

Seeking some strength.


So, I'm typing in this glove and it really isn't working for me. Besides being inordinately unattractive, it is uncomfortable. I just find it amazing that they prescribe these items and act like it is not a big deal. Wrong!

This is my right hand. My writing hand. It feels like a slow deterioration of everything that was once normal. The scars, the numb armpit, the bandages. I cannot pretend. This situation with my arm has sent me into a depression. Plain and simple. Here is a link to a NY Times article on lymphedema and exercise if you are interested in learning more about this "mystery" condition. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/17/ask-questions-about-cancer-lymphedema-and-exercise/

Other than that, I've had a great weekend. Yesterday I taught a Lululemon Community yoga class and we had 58 people practicing in the store! And a dog! I love teaching there: always fun. I'm so grateful for the opportunity. Thanks to everyone who came!

Last night was the grand opening party for Bindu Yoga Studio in Del Mar. Katie attracted a huge turnout, with music, refreshments and art. This studio is such a special space and I love being a part of it. If you are local and haven't been yet, join me Monday at 9:15am.

Prior to the party, Todd and I tried Blue Fin Sushi and it was fantastic. I'm happy to report that I can taste again!! I believe that my taste buds are just about back to normal! And, for someone who appreciates food as much as me, that is great progress.

To round out the weekend, I went to the Beach House for a birthday champagne brunch with my girlfriends Anne, April, Kirsten and Nikke. I was pleased that the mimosas were full-flavor as well. Good friends, good food, lots of laughter and an ocean view: what's not to love? Thanks ladies for kicking off my birthday week!

I have so much to be grateful for right now. But, I am having a tough time keeping myself level. Radiation starts tomorrow. Tamoxifin prescription is filled and I don't want to take it. Where will I draw the strength to finish this last leg of the journey? I'm exhausted mentally and emotionally. I want to be able to enjoy a regular, meaning with sun salutations, yoga practice. Sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

  1. Loved celebrating your bday (and you!) yesterday. Hope today went well, I've been thinking of you all day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete