Friday, July 2, 2010

Adventures in mail-order


San Diegans are outraged at the extreme gray weather blanketing our fine city. June Gloom is over and it should be sunny beach weather. Although I would usually be marching at the head of the sunshine parade, the gloom has been the perfect setting for me over this last week. I've been a watered down version of myself: Shadow of Claire. I'm ready to remove the dimmer switch and shine very soon.

I'll share the most amusing moment of the entire week, thus lending you some insight to my entire week: the delivery of my Ovation Cell Therapy treatment. According to the radio and a few other personal testimonials, this concotion will grow my hair back thicker and fuller than ever before. If you remember my hair, not a big challenge.

When the doorbell rang, I was inside on the couch or bed, take your pick. Since I was in my full bald splendor complete with Michelin Man Mummy arm, I chose not to answer the door. Call me vain. As soon as I was certain the FedEx man had scuttled away, I yanked the door open, snatched the package with my mummy arm and retreated back into the cave with my prize.

I've been carefully washing my bald head with the shampoo and then massaging the Cell Therapy Treatment in the shower. I'm saving the conditioner portion of the ritual for when I actually have some hairs to put it on. I'm sure those follicles are getting fired up and ready to sprout out long, curly golden locks. Ha. I can dream right? Hell, they can come in silver and curly as long as they come in fast and will respond to Blonde Dye!

I've had the concentration span of a grasshopper this week. Hopefully, this isn't a side-effect of rubbing the Ovation gunk on my scalp. No ability to focus on completing anything that I need to complete, no sustained effort or if I am honest, no sustained interest in anything. I've just not had the energy to do anything. Physically or mentally. Perhaps it isn't just lymphatic fluid in my arm but, brain fluid has drained down to give me a fat elbow?

I did read some of my early blog entries from January and February. Wow, a lifetime ago. Tests, diagnoses, surgery, the drain, and and and. One thing that shines through is the amazing love and support that I've received from friends, family, students and even those that I didn't know.

Once treatment is finished and I feel officially "healed", it will be interesting to sit down and actually read the entire journey: I need a title: Bridget Jones Diary Meets Claire's Right Boob?

And, on that note, I'd forgotten all the gratuitous boob shots that I posted early on. What a great idea! Here's one from post-surgery, pre-chemo!

2 comments: