Sunday, March 14, 2010

Apres-Chemo Day 3: Beautiful San Diego


What an amazing day in San Diego!

Lissa picked me up and took me for a walk with Maxwell, her perfect, handsome, big, black dog. We went to one of my favorite spots, the Batiquitos Lagoon. It is a verdant green sanctuary with subtle breezes, breathtaking views of pelicans, egrets, ducks and the water. And best of all, a veritable parade of dogs on their Sunday strolls. Fabulous. For both Maxwell and us!

All that fresh air stirred up an appetite. For some reason, I very specifically craved spaghetti with meat sauce and salad. Interesting that I am craving red meat as I cannot recall the last time I had it. Maybe my red blood cells are crying out for some iron? I really want my dad's spaghetti. He makes the best! Memories of comfort food. Success: Todd and I made the above-referenced wonderful dinner and ate every bite.

Washing my hair today was an odd experience. For some reason, my hair, my teeth and my skin feel weird. I was kind of expecting for a chunk of hair to come out in my hands as I was shampooing. I am trying to prevent my mind from wandering in that direction. I plan on having my girls on SOS emergency dial when that chunk emerges. I know it will be time to head down to Patti's and get my wig. I think that I will freak out.

Who am I kidding? I know that I will freak out. I feel like I've got a handle right now. The minute my baby fine strands exit stage left.....well, the howl will be heard around the globe. And, those of you familiar with the power of these vocal chords, that is not an exaggeration.

We'll see.

I am hoping that the worst is behind me and that all of the horrid tests, scans, surgeries, pokes, pulls, tugs, hog-tying and indignities of the last few months are over. Five more chemo sessions. April 1, April 22, May 13, June 3 and JUNE 24. I'm ready to be done.

I have a trip to Australia to plan after all this time-consuming cancer business.

6 comments:

  1. You know my number, I can be over in minutes, but you'll be fine either way I have no doubt. I want to walk you next, k? We'll talk about the fantabulous adventures of Oz, sweet dreams xxoo :) ~GB

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're here for you! Any time you want to yell, scream, exhale, I'm here. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire :)

    We sent you a small "thinking of you" package to the address on your Christmas card. Please tell me that is your current address?? Sorry to be a pain, but I really wanted you to receive it. I'm following your blog daily and you are in our prayers. You inspire me!! We <3 LOVE <3 YOU!!

    C & J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire, I've been thinking about you. I am at an education conference in Asheville, NC this week. It is at a very secluded, serene location in the mountains. Very few distractions, supposed to help us to stay focus on our agenda for the week. The mountains are definately my solitude similar to the ocean for you. I am so thankful that you are staying strong. Thank you so much for continuing to keep us informed. I hope that isn't selfish of me, but I am glad that I can at least share in this through your writing. I love you dearly and hope that you and your body continue to stay strong....Hugs, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continued thoughts, love and prayers from Tahoe...can't wait to see you in just a few weeks! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi C,

    I'm glad you live in such a lovely place, and can take advantage of nature's nourishment. And I must agree, Chef Rene's Spaghetti is a culinary masterpiece!

    Love, R

    ReplyDelete