Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chemo Infusion #1...5 to go



I was really amped up this morning. I didn't sleep well because of the steroids from last night. Then, I had to take two more prior to leaving. I was extremely anxious about what was about to happen. Luckily, I headed to acupuncture before the hospital.

Lois used acupuncture to help lower my stress level and to temper the nausea I was already experiencing. It worked! I felt like a different person after leaving her office. Todd immediately noticed how my face had calmed down.

I was well prepared and settled into my recliner, snuggled into my bamboo throw. My chemo nurse's name is Margarita. Like the drink. She is awesome. She explained what was going to transpire for treatment, reviewed potential side effects, and made recommendations for how to handle them. She included a few tidbits I didn't care for: no more manicure/pedicure through chemo because of putting feet in the tubs and possibility for infection. NO! What if I bring my own sterilizer? How will the toes survive?

Back to the skinny on chemo treatment #1. So, we started with the "A" drug. Some call it the Red Devil due to the scarlet color. She set up the IV and had to administer it manually through the tube because it is important not to let it flow too quickly. Drug "A" comes with a popsicle to keep the mouth cool. Note the photo: magazine, popsicle, ipod, Twilight journal for notes. I was all set. Not bad.

Drug 2 was "C", she walked away and allowed it to flow into my veins for an hour. It was fine. Compared to the other tests, like the MRIs and Liver Biopsy, it was a piece of cake. So far, so good.

Before I forget: got the results on the liver biopsy. Surprise, surprise: it was "non-diagnostic" meaning that they cannot say from the biopsied tissue whether it is cancer or not. Non-conclusive. So, all of that for naught. CT and PET scan, MRI with Eovist, Liver Biopsy and nothing. So, now we'll just track it on CT scan to see if it grows. I wish I'd just told them to skip that liver biopsy. I'm sure it is nothing.

By this point, I was getting cocky and sending off texts and emails about how much easier chemo was than what I've already endured. Oops.

The minute she started Drug #3 the Taxotere (T), I immediately felt my temperature escalate , saw spots swim before my eyes, and most alarmingly: my throat started closing up. Horrifying feeling. She had to come stop it, changed the drip to benadryl, followed by a clear saline. This added another 40 minutes to the treatment. She then restarted the T at a slower pace and it went okay. I sure hope that doesn't happen again.

I've got a dizzying assortment of anti-nausea, anti-fatigue drugs. One of them cost $87 for the three day dosage. Times 6. Crazy that is all the insurance covers on it because it is new.

I felt tired. We went to Swamis for an acai bowl, which was yummy. When we finally got home, lay down for a nap for a few hours. When I awoke, I walked like a newborn colt. Very wobbly and tentative. But, okay. Our first dinner delivery from Marianne arrived. Wow! It was delicious. Fresh pasta with tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, balsamic, complimented by spinach salad and sinful brownies. Yum!

Right now, just feeling sleepy and my stomach is a little bit off. Not too bad.

Return tomorrow for the Neulasta shot and am hoping I will feel fine. I may do acupuncture again to deal with the jumpy belly.

I'm glad it is over and now I know what to expect, at least for the treatments. How the next few days will unfold remain a mystery. I'm approaching it with optimism. I will get through this with flying colors. Yes.

I received two wonderful gifts in the mail: beautiful flowers from my little sis Sue and a "slanket", which looks like a big pink snuggie. I love it!! Who sent it? There was a no card.

G'night.

9 comments:

  1. you're brave claire - a true inspiration to us all. i cried as i read your blog, i wish you didn't have to go through this. isn't there an easier way to become a famous author? gheesh. love you, zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a crazy experience. Sucks the biopsy was inconclusive...I'm certain it's nothing. Hope the nausea stays at bay and you rest easy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ask your doctor for the generic brand of "Zophran" $15 it worked like a charm for me. Perfect for the days when your stomach fewls weird. You can drive they don't make you sleepy far less stress to the body. It will not work on your worst days but it is fantastic otherwise with no side effects.I'm sorry you had the horrible reaction I did as well. It won't happen again. Now they will make each treatment slower and add the benadryl. Prayers continue for sound mind, healthy appetite and restful sleep---you need all three! God bless, Elizabeth Williams Wooten

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet it feels good to get this underway. Now you're one step closer to being finished! Lots of love from OZ! --Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1 down, 5 to go! Praise God! Take extra special care of yourself today and the next few days...peace, julie mckeever kavanagh

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're amazing, Claire. And you likely won't feel amazing every day, but that's okay ... you have already told the cancer that you win by the amazing attitude, physical health, emotional health, and spirit that you have. So when the hard days come, you're ready. And they will, and you're ready. And in addition to all that, your peeps and God have your back. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One down warrior princess! Thank you for your blog, your heartfelt updates that I'm sure will help others as much as it is helping you. Keep up the fight. You'll wear cancer down. It doesn't know yet who it's dealing with...Between the diagnosis, the lumpectomy, the "drain", the immobile arm now mobile, the 2nd lumpectomy, the liver biopsy and your first chemo, the score is::::::::::::::::::

    CLAIRE 7 CANCER 0
    YOU'RE DOING GREAT KID.

    love, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I wouldn't take that mani-pedi warning too seriously. What about getting something in your own home? http://www.2gospa.com/Manicure-Pedicure.html

    If Margarita (on the rocks, with salt) approves, let me know.

    We are proud of you! Sounds so gnarly. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claire...I am in awe with you!!! Your blog is amazing not to mention your courageous optimism!!!
    I have no doubt you will overcome this "bump" in the road. Keep that positive attitude and belief that you deserve good things. Don't loose that visualization you have always had to see the positive. Humor, love, comfort, happiness and peace....may they continue to be with you. And yes...I am still distraught they told you no mani/pedis. There has to be an alternative. A girl can't live without that....xoxo lisa

    ReplyDelete