Friday, May 21, 2010

Rolling, rolling, rolling....light at the end of the tunnel


This fourth round aftershock is really a rollercoaster. I thought I'd stepped off the ride yesterday but, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Last night, when I went to bed I ended up having hot flashes, I'm talking waking up drenched in sweat, along with numbness in my right index finger and thumb, numbness in my left foot and the occasional shooting pain down my legs. Let's just say it wasn't my most peaceful slumber to date. Unfortunately, it lasted through today as well.

Because I felt and looked like death warmed over, I frantically tried to get my yoga class covered this morning. Literally dialing up until 10:15 and the class starts at 10:35am. I made it through by sheer stubborness, although I did have to teach the last 30 minutes just sitting on my mat. Wobbly and weak.

Enough of detailing my litany of physical ailments, as that is very boring. But, if someone else reading this has experienced the same thing, maybe it is helpful to not feel like the only person in the world with a body out of control.

The nature of this disease is simply isolating. The other day, I was talking to my friend who just completed her chemotherapy. We concurred that it is often easier to just stay in the house then make the effort to put on the makeup, wig and/or hat. And, when I am feeling that way, I really don't feel like me. Shut down.

Today, I finally got to catch up with one of my best friends and hear all the wonderful things that are happening in her life. A nice lengthy phone conversation felt like a luxury. It felt so great to connect. I am looking forward to the time where spending time on the phone and in person is once again the norm. I miss my friends. Love this photo of us in Cabo.

Okay, the rollercoaster is definitely soaring now! Todd and I just booked our tickets to Australia for September 17th to October 3rd. My first trip to the land down under. I can't believe it!! This trip will be the light at the end of the tunnel! Yippee!!

1 comment: