Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Down Dog in 6 weeks


May continues to be significantly better than April.

When I first began writing about the silver lining in this journey, I wasn't sure how it would appear. Thus far, it has shown itself primarily through my interactions with others. Some are people that I didn't know very well who have shown me how generous and kind they are. Some are my friends and family who have reminded me why I'm blessed to have them in my life. Some are people that I would never have met but for the breast cancer.

Today I spoke with an amazingly brave young woman, Kristin, who at age 28 learned that she had the breast cancer gene. She discovered this because her cousin was diagnosed at age 39 with Stage IV breast cancer and passed within a year. The standard protocol with the breast cancer gene is to have a prophylactic double mastectomy and also have the ovaries removed. Kristin had the double-M and reconstruction. Oh yeah, she'd just gotten married. 28 years old. 39 years old. How can this be right?

Almost every day someone tells me of a friend or colleague who was just diagnosed. The diagnoses of breast cancer in young women is reaching epic proportions. Why is this happening? In the 1970s the statistic was 1 in 20 women, today it is 1 in 7. And, the ages are just getting younger and younger.

Kristin and I commiserated about how hard it is to be sidelined by all of this. We both are used to being very active and physical. Neither of us will accept that we can't get back to our regular routines. Despite what some well meaning folks in the medical profession advise. For example, I was told by a physical therapist specializing in lymphadema that I shouldn't even try to do a Downward Dog for six months. Ha! It only took six weeks. (this photo was pre-surgery nonetheless)

The cancer can have some of my time. Not all of my time.

And, I'm leaving it behind while Todd and I head to Best Friends in Utah this weekend. Can't wait!

1 comment: