Wednesday, June 23, 2010

As the arm shrinks....


Chemo Eve. I'm shifting my focus to celebratory: chemotherapy is almost over forever! This time, I know I'll have my downtime but, it is finite. Thereafter, I will continue to get strong, rebuild my muscles and bones and grow some hair on this egg-like head of mine.

Thank you everyone for the offers of fat harvesting: at this rate I could build boobs the size of Dolly Parton. I only need about a golf-ball amount so, perhaps everyone could write an essay on why they have the richest, plumpest fat and why their fat would make the best boob filler. Feel free to do so in the Comments session. Apparently, belly fat works very well. I don't know how I'd feel about having someone's butt fat on my chest. Keep that in mind.

Thank you for making me laugh.

After sleeping, or shall I say attempting to sleep, with the Michelin Man arm, I gingerly unwrapped all of the bandages. Nervous, eager and hesistant to look at my arm, I nonetheless glanced down. Was this how Michael Jackson felt each and every time he got a new nose job?

I'm happy to report that the swelling has definitely subsided a lot. I can see my wrist again and the wrinkles on the inside of my elbows. The upper arm surrounding my elbow is still puffy but, not quite as puffy. You can see some bone at the tip. Hurray!! I will continue with the exercises and wrapping my arm before bed and pray that the remaining bloat will disappear. The therapist said we'll work on it for a few weeks and generally reach optimal size by then so, fingers crossed. I'm now feeling optimistic that I can shrink this to almost normal.

Then, it will all be about prevention. I'll worry about that later. I will regain my strength. I will not have to wear a sleeve every day. Down the line, if I perceive slight swelling, I will wrap it up with a smile and it will be gone by morning. Nothing more.

I have an awesome "Chemo Graduation Day" T-shirt to wear tomorrow, courtesy of Anaise--thank you very much! It is perfect. Depending upon how I feel after chemo, I'm craving Wine Steals pizza. Celebration!!

6 comments:

  1. YAHOOOOO! Final session here you come. Get that behind you!!! Take a picture in the tee and post it. I'll be sure to toast you from Florida. HOOORAY! ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. My belly will be entering the competition. I'm confident my butt wouldn't win it, with all this spinning and pilates and all. But my belly is in. Heck, you even have its northern, southern, eastern, and western hemispheres to choose from!!! Love you, and am celebrating with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the arm is improving and "the big day" is finally here. The silly tee is kinda like a cap & gown - the best thing about it is if you choose to wear it you NEVER HAVE TO AGAIN because chemo is over! You are moving to the next phase of your recovery and toward the ultimate healthy happy future that awaits you because you deserve it! Love you Claire! Anaise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things sound great, little sis. Now you're after the last chemo - hooray. I'm wondering if there was or will be an attempt to draw out the fluids from your arm by needle. That's what was done with my arm - did this come up in conversation with the docs? xoxox, Yael

    ReplyDelete
  5. The roller coaster ride continues my dear, but you have managed to stay ahead of the the game with your humor, wit, positivity and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel into the GREAT LIGHT into the rest of your bountiful life. I'm SO sorry you were thrown for such a loop going to Napa and back home, but this too shall pass as I see you are already finding solutions.
    You will NOT regain your pre-cancer body back, RATHER YOU WILL BE STRONGER, LEANER, TALLER physically than you have ever been and YOU WILL BE HAVE THE STRENGTH OF MIND AND SPIRIT THAT COMES ONLY FROM HAVING GONE THROUGH SOMETHING SUCH AS THIS.
    As always Claire Bear, my Money is on you.
    Score: CLAIRE 87 Cancer -10

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entering my ass in the competition. I am so glad you are done.

    ReplyDelete