Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Last Day of Treatment Eve



Finally, the night before the last day of cancer treatment. Coupled with the simmering excitement for this milestone is the huge anticipation for Todd and my trip to Australia on Friday. Three sleeps to the adventure of a lifetime!

Well, I am having a challenging time sleeping because I am so excited about all of it. Todd and I are zooming around in a flurry of preparations: walking shoes, trial size shampoo (yes shampoo people: I have an inch of hair), laundry, laying out outfits, going for increasingly longer walks to build up my stamina, choosing what to pack, and and and.

Today was full of positives: I stopped by Yoga Swami and completed the paperwork to start the weekly Yoga for Cancer Recovery classes on Thursday October 7th. It will be offered at 4pm on a donation basis. I have a key and everything so, it is on!

Then, I picked up my cast from Anne Krell, the beautifully talented artist who painted it. Check it out! If I haven't written about this before, several weeks ago I was casted by the ladies from Keep-a-Breast.org for an upcoming Breast Cancer Awareness event being held at lululemon Carlsbad. It was an interesting experience and I must say like nothing I've ever participated in before. This group raises breast cancer awareness using art: www.keep-a-breast.org. They are amazing.

In the middle of all of that, I taught two yoga classes, caught up with several of my good friends on the phone and online. Then, I returned home to be surprised by Todd with a pre-vacation/end-of-treatment present.

The second to last radiation was a piece of cake. This is the eighth week that I've driven to Scripps every weekday. I cannot wait to turn in my hospital bracelet. I cannot wait to not enter those gates. I cannot wait to stop changing into hospital gowns on a daily basis. I cannot wait until tomorrow at 3pm.

Freedom.

7 comments:

  1. Praise God! I am so happy for you. Have a wonderful, wonderful trip to Oz.

    julie mckeever kavanagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful to hear you bubbling with joy! Thank God this treatment will soon be looked at through the rear view mirror! Oz is amazing - and remember I already gave you your travel pack for Oz. I seem to remember you looking at me with not one strand of hair on your head and wondering if that was the appropriate time to give a gift complete with very nice shampoo and conditioner -- but, I knew this day would come!! Hugs, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you Claire! Enjoy:) Sooo happy that this journey to recovery has now reached the end and you are now entering the "recovered and Survivor" phase of your journey....although they say we must never look back always forward, remember its where we've come from that get us where we are today :) Amen to that!

    Peace!

    Lisa Hayes Chmael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think as I write this you have completed your final radiation treatment, C. Walking out of there you must be on Cloud 9.

    And Oz the day after tomorrow? How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, yay, yay! I'm so excited that you have finally come to the end of this long, challenging ordeal. And there's no better way to celebrate than a trip to Australia!! Have a fantastic time, take a ton of pics, and I can't wait to see you and hear all about it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete