Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day after Completion: Gratitude


As I ran through my itinerary for today, I automatically thought, "drive to Scripps" and just as swiftly, I smiled because I don't have to enter that doorway again for a few months. Today, I had more important tasks like getting a manicure/pedicure and packing for Australia. No need for any more sauteeing of my right chest.

Yesterday I was literally flying on adrenaline all day. The excitement and realization that this nine month journey is over. I. am. finished. with. cancer. treatment. I've been through a lot in my relatively short lifetime, it has truly been a dramatic rollercoaster ride. But, I must say that this disease or crisis or shall I just call it cancer has been the most challenging experience ever. Maybe because it took so long to be over?

Next chapter: blissful, exotic, million miles away vacation. This trip will be such an opportunity to clear out the residue from treatment and a time for Todd and I to breathe after this incredibly difficult period.

I haven't really slept for four nights because I cannot turn off my brain. Flashes of faces keep passing in front of my eyes and I realize how many amazing people have blessed my life and supported and lifted me throughout this journey: Family, old friends, new friends, relative strangers. Todd has been a rock.

I grew much closer to some new friends and some friends faded away a bit. I know people say that you'll know who your true friends are through a crisis like this. True. What is so beautiful is that I really didn't find out anything on the negative side: it was all positive. It is more that some people you don't expect to step up do and others who you thought would be there 24/7 aren't. My life is much richer and fuller as a result of every single one of these relationships.

And, I must say that the Oakton High School Cougars have been incredible!! Shout out to everyone! Does this mean that we are all getting together over Thanksgiving in Northern Virginia? Or, does this warrant a celebratory reunion trip to Ocean City?

One sleep to Oz.

Yes, my hair is coming in salt and pepper. You won't see it again as I alreadyhave it covered.

8 comments:

  1. You look sooooo beautiful! Have an incredible, restorative time!!!! ~Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your hair! Have a great trip...;) Go Cougars...:) Uh, that would be Oakton Cougars...not to be confused with the other kind of cougar of which women our age are NOT because we are way too young...anyway...have a great trip...;)

    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an AMAZING woman....a real inspiration! Hope you have a wonderful vacation :)

    Penni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Claire!!! I would love love to get together over thanksgiving I am happy to organize anything from this end....Have an amazing relaxing stress free awesome fun silly beautiful what ever you feel like doing vacation :).....you deserve it!!!

    xo
    Lisa Hayes Chmael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire - your beauty is remarkable, inside and out. Thank you for sharing yourself and your journey. Enjoy your trip!! Much love - Anaise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire...you look great!!! I am so excited for you ... your trip sounds amazing. Congratulations on completing your treatment. You are truly an inspiration.

    Have a blast in Australia!
    Jenny Roosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great, Claire! Have an amazing, rejuvenating trip! Well done, you! Lots of hugs from Seattle...Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did it! Your strength is amazing :) Blessings for a wonderful visit to Oz. Hope to see you around Thanksgiving. We both love you VERY MUCH!!

    C&J

    ReplyDelete