Sunday, August 23, 2009

Learning to build a consistent personal practice, no matter what!

Recently, I had two conversations with students who were feeling that if they couldn't get to yoga class every single day, then they weren't really yogis, they didn't really have a strong practice, etc. etc. Because they felt that they weren't able to practice enough,they didn't think they were getting all the mind-body benefits that they wanted from yoga. These conversations really resonated with me. I'd been feeling the same way because I've been teaching so much that my own practice had suffered.

I was reminded of a really simple premise: consistency is what matters. Quality over quantity. Many of us don't have time to go to the studio every day or even every other day. We also don't have time to attend a 60 minute class, much less a 90 minute class on a daily basis. But, that is okay!

You don't have to rush around or skip sleep to get in a 60-90 minute practice every day. No, consistency means that you can do a 20 minute home practice if that is all you have time for and that is fine. It is the repeated practice of focusing on the breath and moving through asanas that really matter. Alternatively, developing a meditation practice at home is also a great way to be consistent with your practice.

There is an incredible book on this topic, "The Heart of Yoga, Developing a Personal Practice" by T.K.V. Desikachar, a well-respected guru. In the book, practical tips are offered on how to create your own yoga practice, targeted specifically to how you feel each day and what your mind and body desire at any given time. There are numerous books, DVDs and TV programs that can lead you through yoga classes.

Finally, by practicing alone at home, you can really tune in to your practice without distractions. Try it!

1 comment:

  1. I like this advice Claire. It is just what I needed to hear. With training and traveling I have been an m.i.a. yogi. Nothing can replace your classes, but at least I can get in a few stretches/positions on my own.
    Great job on the blog. Miss you and will hopefully make it in to see u next week!!!

    ReplyDelete