Sunday, October 17, 2010

Hair and Yoga



Rainy weekend. What is up with this weather in San Diego? It isn't supposed to rain in October. Ever! At least I don't have to worry about what will happen to my wig anymore! I am officially wearing my own hair: Version 2.0.

I've gotten comments from "it isn't too terrible, you can always get extensions, right?" to my personal favorite: "rocking a blonde Halle Barry." The truth, as usual, lies somewhere between these two extremes. It is just so freeing to not have to worry about what hat or hair I will don prior to leaving the house.

And, more importantly, the fact that my hair is now growing fast means that I am returning to health. As it was a symbol of my sickness when I was bald, it now is a clear indicator that I am on the road to recovery. Because I feel stronger each day, I have worked out for the last seven days in a row. The only reminder is the ever-present lymphedema sleeve. My goal is to build up the activity and hold steady, then start weaning off of wearing the sleeves 24/7. I can't wait.

Yesterday, I had a breakthrough at the wonderful Katie Brauer's yoga class. For the first time in several months, I was able to practice a full vinyasa flow class without modifications. A few walls were dropped and the tears flowed. I have been craving this type of movement to release the pent-up emotions stuck in my body. Finally! I cannot describe how it feels to start feeling connected in my mind, body and heart once again.

Grateful.
Ecstatic.
Sad.

Emotionally, I'm all over the place. What a shocker! It just feels strange to be returning to only some of my prior teaching. Much has shifted. I know that new doorways are opening but, perhaps this gloomy weather has instilled some melancholy in my soul. I guess that is to be expected. I need to keep reminding myself not to project too far into the future.

Day by beautiful day.

4 comments:

  1. You look radiant!! What a beauty!! I'm so glad to hear how well you're doing!! Keep it up!! I can't wait to see you again! Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. exciting moment - yoga without modifications... wonderful. made my heart fill with gladness to read that!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You continue to be amazing and inspiring. Thank you thank you, Beautiful Claire!!!

    xo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Claire- I LOVE your hair...seriously, you look really good with it short...I agree with the Blonde Halle Berry comment! Good to hear that you are feeling healthier. Go, Claire, go!!!!

    ReplyDelete