Sunday, October 31, 2010

Festivities, Hot Flashes and surprises




I'm feeling filled with gratitude this weekend. Friends, fun and festivities.

Friday night I led a yoga class at Sculpt Fusion Yoga for Breast Cancer Awareness month. Donations went to the Young Survival Coalition, a group where I've found a great deal of support with other young women hit by cancer.

All week, I alternated between feeling excited to teach and nostalgic for the days when I could teach there without a concern. I hadn't been to SFY in months. I used to teach classes at SFY five times a week but, due to the chemo/radiation/lymphedema, my body betrayed me each time I stepped into the heated room. Either I'd feel dizzy and nauseous or the lymphedema flared up and my hand and arm would start swelling up again.

It was a great night and wonderful to see old faces. I really miss the community. I did have a big of a heat hangover afterwards. The class was supposed to be non-heated, however, an earlier class ended only fifteen minutes prior and the heat just didn't dissipate. So, everyone got a lot sweatier than anticipated and I ended up having a Hot-Flash kinda-night.

Apparently, it takes about three months for your body to get rid of the effects of the radiation. It makes sense I guess: 36 rounds of daily radiation is bound to leave some after-effects. So, part of the radiation legacy is that your internal body temperature clock doesn't work. No sleep for me. I was burning up and sweating and tossing and turning all night long. Clothes, lymphedema sleeve and even a cat or two went flying in the dark.

So, that cleared up any ambiguity regarding whether I was ready to practice or teach in the heat, even moderate. No need to hurry it. I'll try again. December 15th is the three month mark. Not unexpected but, nonetheless disappointing.

Two parties on Saturday! First stop was Lori's baby shower. She is going to be the best baby mama to little Natalie. And, Natalie is going to be a very well-dressed little girl! It was really nice to share in the celebration of new life with a lovely group of women.

Next, the fun began at 5pm at Party City where Todd and I and every other Halloween procrastinator battled over masks and costumes. We emerged unscathed with a couple of ornate masks, ready for a glass of wine and a surprise birthday party for Dino. At Blanca, everyone donned masks and let's just say that the birthday boy was suprised! Friends and family traveled from as far as Canada to share in the celebration.

A great reminder that you just never know what surprises are around the corner, right?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for helping make my baby shower so memorable!! I had a huge grin on my face all weekend! Natalie's going to start her "Sex in the City" shoe collection thanks to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post - you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete