Sunday, September 27, 2009

There are two ways to spread light; to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton

Another amazing quote that says so much with so little.

For me, this quote reminds me of why I love teaching yoga. I feel that I alternate between these roles when teaching. Sometimes students come in to class seeking solace from difficult situations going on in their lives. They are in a darker space and their light is hidden for a time. In that scenario, I try to be the candle and share some light to remind them that theirs is inside of them, just dormant for a little while.

At other times, students come in with a true glow that only grows brighter as they practice and find their peace on the mat. Then, I just try to be the reflection back to them of their inner beauty and light.

I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment