Thursday, September 17, 2009

High-top Reeboks, Lycra and Big hair=.Mind-Body?


There is so much focus on the mind-body connection in exercise these days. Yoga, pilates, you name it. It is awesome that this vital connection is being recognized and publicized.


For me: I had no idea why I always worked out. In high school, I was obsessed with the latest classes, at-home workouts, dancing, just movement in general. In college, I found weight-lifting and was hooked. I also happened to be in school in the heyday of "high impact" aerobics and had to teach it. I loved the high I felt after leaping around in my high-top Reeboks, my ponytail and let's not forget the lycra. The shiny lycra thong leotards. With belts. I'm blushing remembering it. But, I must confess, I thought I looked fabulous in these get-ups. But, I digress.



I had a challenging home life in those years, who didn't? I was intense about my school-work and loved to read, to learn, to excel. I definitely had my bookworm side and wanted to develop and push the boundaries of my learning and intellectual capacity. Often, the bookworms look down on the "jocks" because the focus should be on higher learning, not building muscles, right? Wrong!



Sometimes I felt like I didn't fit into either category because I couldn't figure out why I always wanted to sweat. Some critics thought it was because I wanted to be skinny, to fit into my jeans, to look good. And, of course aesthetics matter! We all want to look our best. I did not exercise to be skinny, however. I exercised because it made me feel peaceful. It calmed me down. It made me feel happy. I just never made the connection. I didn't know why I did it, I just did it.

These days, there is tons of information about the endorphin effect. How even a short 20 minute stroll will change your mood, boost your metabolism, etc etc. It is so true. One of the few things that has kept me sane through tumultuous times is exercise. Plain and simple. No matter how I feel, no matter what is transpiring in the world around me, I feel better after I exercise. No matter what. Move your body and calm your mind.


Join me at Lululemon in Carlsbad, Ca, Saturday September 19th at 9am for a complimentary yoga class. http://www.oceansoulyoga.com/










1 comment:

  1. I love this entry!!! and what a perfect reminder :) love the description of the lycra- totally had some of those thong leotards! it is so true and what a beautiful quote "move your body, calm your mind"

    ReplyDelete