Sunday, November 7, 2010

Fall back and walking the Race for the Cure



Fall back: it is a bit disconcerting that this weekend symbolizes the beginning of Fall, after our sun-drenched, 90 degree week. Summer in November! I love this time of year. Autumn symbolizes a time of renewal and rebirth, a time to shed the old and make room for the fresh and new. Participating in the Race for the Cure this morning seemed timely.

After sharing an excellent dinner with April and Matthew at Market last night, we made sure to turn the clocks back an hour. This was vital because we had to leave the house by 6am to meet up with the Young Survival Coalition group.

It didn't really matter because I was rudely awakened at 3am by a dream that I was being roasted on a spit over an open campfire. Like a marshmallow. Or a weenie. Not exactly, instead, when I awoke, I was drenched in sweat from these da**ed night sweat/hot flashes. Seriously, I am really over this. When will they cease? It is the most bizarre feeling because all of a sudden the back of your neck sizzles and poof, you are cooking from the inside out. Talk about generating tapas.

Anyway, Todd and I joined up with the YSC and close to 20,000 people who walked or ran in the Race for the Cure 5k. This is the first time I've ever received a medal for a race! Who cares if it was at a leisurely stroll, surrounded by groups of walkers with names like "Tits and Giggles", "Save Second Base", and the "Boobie Brigade?" I sported a YSC banner that proclaimed me a Young Survivor, with my diagnosis date and age on the back. Todd wore a bib that stated he was celebrating me and my sister Yael.

Prior to participating in the race today, I was feeling rather apprehensive. Would this be uplifting? would it be upsetting? would I cry? or would I just be slightly hungover from one too many glasses of wine at dinner and four hours of sleep?

I'd say that this event proved to be amazing and overwhelming all at once. What seemed the most poignant to me were the countless groups walking in memory of a loved one. T-shirts with pictures of moms, sisters, grandmothers, friends abounded. And, made me realize yet again that I am one of the lucky ones who officially beat cancer. With all of this positive energy, how can a cure not be imminent?

Next up this week? An interview with City of Hope tomorrow, a talk at a YSC event, Complementary Care for Cancer regarding yoga's role in recovery and then off to San Francisco to visit my BFF Megan and the world's greatest mom, Judy!

Not bad for the beginning of Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment