Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"C" is for....


Clear!

Today I went in for my first mammogram post-cancer treatment. The radiologist said that everything looked good. I have an MRI next month, which generally shows more.

Oops, and I just realized that I still had a sticker on my boob, where they mark the incision. Just peeled off a pink sticker with a strawberry pattern on it. Interesting.

So, the head of radiology, who is actually the woman who gave me two of the most painful experiences: biopsy and shooting in a radioactive isotope pre-surgery, came in to say hello. Her first comment was, "didn't you have much longer hair before?"

Um, yes.

I don't think I need to elaborate any more on that.

I was discussing with someone today whether I was considered "cancer-free" and my answer was "I guess so." Basically, the oncologists just say that they assume the chemotherapy and radiation worked based upon the statistics. You know what they say about assumptions, right? But, I guess I will just begin answering with an emphatic YES that I am cancer-free until someone tells me otherwise. Think positive right?

Oreo, my cat who was diagnosed with cancer in April, just climbed on my lap. He was given just months to live and he is still doing pretty well. He had to get a steroid injection on Monday and wasn't too pleased about it. But, they seem to prevent him from throwing up his dinner, which is a good thing. I'm glad that he is hanging on!

Tonight I am talking on the role that yoga plays in complementary care for cancer. The Young Survival Coalition is putting on the event that also features Christa Orecchio on nutrition and Mark Skalr on acupuncture. I'm convinced that the combination of these three protocols played a huge role in me maintaining the amount of strength and oomph that I did. Is oomph a word?

So, perhaps I should review my notes for the talk one more time....

2 comments: