Monday, July 20, 2009

We have to keep transforming ourselves

to become who we ought to be. I love this quote and it really seems to sum up my life path.

I was feeling a little discouraged the other day because I was questioning if I'd made the right choices in my career. A niggling little fear crept up and made me ask the question (again) whether I was crazy to quit corporate life as a lawyer and teach yoga and pilates full-time. What was I doing again? How was I going to support myself? Was I wasting my education? ...And, and, and....

But, as usual, whenever fear creeps in, an affirmation comes to remind me that I am in the flow, I am living my dream, I am doing what I should be doing with my life!

One of my newer yoga students came up to me after class and told me that she wants to cry at the end of my class because she knows she has to wait a week to take it again. She said it was the favorite part of her week. How amazing is that? How grateful do I feel? I receive these reminders almost every single day. I never got this type of validation when I was an attorney. Or in sales. Or any other "traditional" career hat that I tried to wear.

The bottom line is that wellness and nurturing have always been my passions. I made a giant detour leaving the personal training field for a 10 year detour into law and sales but, I've returned. And, I know I am on the right track!

Many of my lawyer friends, well, many of all my friends, tell me that they can't leave their current career because 1. they spent a lot of money on school, 2. they've invested time in the field, etc etc. I always say, Who cares! Are you happy? The last 6 months that I practiced law, I cried daily in the shower before I left for the office. Not happy.

Life is too short to waste it. We are all really good at several things. That doesn't mean that we have to do them for 30 years and be unfulfilled.

I really do believe that if you've got a passion for something, go for it. Of course, be responsible, set up a safety net (at least a little one!!) but, try it. What is the worst that can happen? Failure? I think that my great failures were my biggest learning experiences and were just part of my path.

This is my first real blog entry...not sure if I'm doing it right?? But, I've got to get it started, right? Until later.

6 comments:

  1. this is very beautiful and inspiring:) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too left corporate america, fired my boss, and am loving the independence of it all despite the scaryness of it all. Truly being your own boss is the most free one can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire,

    Thank you for your inspirational comments. I believe that if you are doing what you have a passion for, you will succeed. The money may not roll in at first, but it inevitably will. More important than the money, however, is being able to wake up in the morning, looking forward to the day! The fact that one of your clients couldn't wait until the next session demonstrates that this is your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do what you love, love what you do. Period.

    - my dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a natural yoga teacher, it is obvious you made the right choice! I have friends who are attorneys and it's hard for me to picture you leading that life. I don't like what I do for a living and I hope to have enough of a little safety net one day (and enough guts!) to stop- and do something I care about. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claire,

    I hope you know how much your class has transformed my life. I started going to your classes while recovering from physical and emotional injuries. With every week, I have grown stronger physically, mentally, and spiritually. Your affirmations almost prophetically correspond to events and emotions circling my life. Your words and the practice you lead me through give me such strength and make me feel that I am not alone. As I grow and practice more I am finding my voice and myself more and more. I had never thought yoga could provide me with the transformation it has. Specifically, your instruction and your classes have truly influenced my life positively and, in turn, I have been able to extend that warmth to those I love and interact with on a daily basis. For this I wish to relay to you my deepest thanks and appreciation. Any time fear resonates about your choices I hope you remember that sometimes by helping one you help all. You're a wonderful spiritual guide through the practice. I look forward to continuing to learn and grow from you in class. I suppose this comment could go in the testimonial section but I leave it here nevertheless! Namaste. --Carissa

    ReplyDelete